So you have done your research and found the best diet to feed your dog, and now, it’s time to feed them. You put the food in the bowl, turn around to put the scoop back in the bin, you turn back around and POOF…Almost all of his food is GONE! While you may think, “Wow, that is impressive”, what you should think is, “Wow, that is dangerous!”
When dogs eat their food too quickly, they inevitably ingest a lot of air while eating. When this happens, it can cause general stomach upset, vomiting and even choking. When dogs ingest a lot of air it can also increase the chance that your dog will suffer from a very serious issue, gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV), or more commonly known as bloat.
Here is a description from the AKC website about what is happening when bloat occurs.
“As the stomach fills with air, pressure builds, stopping blood from the hind legs and abdomen from returning to the heart. Blood pools at the back end of the body, reducing the working blood volume and sending the dog into shock.”
In addition to that, “…As the stomach flips, it drags the spleen and pancreas along with it, cutting off the blood flow. The oxygen-starved pancreas produces some very toxic hormones. One, in particular, targets the heart and stops it cold.”
It is important to note, if you think that your dog is suffering from bloat, you should take them to the vet ASAP! Statistics show the earlier you catch this, the better survival chances a dog has. According to the AKC some of the signs of bloat are:
An enlargement of the dog’s abdomen